I recently installed new sod at a customer’s property, and thought this would be a good time to provide some tips on how to water the new sod after installation.
Here is a checklist for watering new sod.
- Lightly sprinkle water on the bare soil as you install your new lawn. This will cool the soil providing a better environement for new, tender roots.
- Using a hose, water each piece of sod within 15 minutes of being laid on the soil.
- Give your new lawn one inch of water withing 1/2 hour of completed installations. When finished, the lawn should be “squishy wet.” This is the only time you will water the sod making it “squishy wet.”
- Water your new lawn 2-3 times during the hottest part of the day for the first two weeks. Short, frequent waterings are best, 5-20 minutes on each cycle. Shorter for spray heads, longer for impact or rotors.
- Keep your new lawn moist but do not soak. Water as needed to maintain adequate moisture. New BioGrass lawn establishment usually takes two weeks, depending on weather, temperatures, etc.
- Change your sprinkler timer according to the demands of your lawn, and the environment. Common factors are: wind, rain, sunlight, shade and reflected light.