I have a lot of problems with this sprinkler head. On the Orbit website it says that it is ideal for small yards with shallow sprinkler systems. This would be the only scenario where I would use this sprinkler head, only I would add in “with lots of tree roots.”
I encounter this sprinkler head often in my business and the only time I use this head is when the homeowner requests it.
The problems with this head are numerous:
- It wastes water where the shaft goes through the body. It must partially be due to the rubber seal on the bottom of the shaft.
- The head leaks water worse when it is installed on a tee that is not level.
- There is no filter screen in the head so any debris will quickly plug off the nozzle.
- Often when the sprinkler zone quits watering the plunger sticks “up” and invariably the lawn mower guy breaks it off.
- The next problem is when the lawn guy breaks it off, the bottom half of the plunger drops into the sprinkler line which affects the flow to the rest of the circuit. I’ve done service on systems with these heads where there are broken off plungers in the sprinkler line and I have to cut the pipe to get them out.
Pros – The tree root, shallow line scenario is the only time I can think of to use this head.
Cons – Inefficient and a big water waster. There are much better heads on the market.